The How-to-Dad guy!
Suffice to say, we are VERY excited about travelling to New Zealand. It is our second most anticipated place, after Japan. Unfortunately, like Japan, it is also a very expensive place to visit. We will try to do our best to plan well and to have a great time without breaking our budget.
We will be arriving after Mexico City. Most likely flying from LA, unless the situation in Chile improves we switch back to our original route. We have gone back and forth many, many, MANY, times with how to get to New Zealand. We even considered a re-positioning cruise ship! The Pacific Ocean is just too dang big and there is just no easy and quick way to get across.
The number one goal for our trip to NZ is to celebrate our son’s birthday. As per his request, we will be visiting the Hobbiton movie set. It looks really cool!
Visa: Not required
Vaccines: Yellow Fever
Currency: NZD (0.88 CDN) as of 2019 07 02
Other Requirements: Onward ticket with visa. NZ$1,000/month
THINGS TO READ:
- A Kiwi Year: Twelve Months in the Life of New Zealand’s Kids (2017) by Tania McCartney and Tina Snerling
- Welcome to New Zealand: A Nature Journal (2015) by Sandra Morris
- According to Read NZ (NZ Book Council), “Margaret Mahy, Joy Cowley and Maurice Gee are the holy trinity when it comes to NZ children’s authors.”
PHRASES TO KNOW:
- Rattle ya dags! | Hurry up!
- Just popping to the dairy. | I’m going to the convenience store.
- I’m knackered. | I’m tired.
- Wop-wops. | Middle of nowhere.
- Get your A into G! | Rattle ya dags! (Get your arse into gear)
- Pakeha | Fair-skinned.
- It was choice, bro! | It was good.
- Kia ora | Be well.
- Yeah-nah | No thank you.
STUFF TO SEE:
- Hobbiton ($218/person, 2 hour drive from Auckland)
- Waitomo Glow worm caves (2.5 hours from Auckland)
- Karekare Beach
PLACES TO EAT:
- New Zealand meat pies: Mairangi Bay Bakery, Le Royal Bakery, Corner Bakery, Wild Bean Cafe (chain)
- Coffee: Wild Bean Cafe, Sierra Coffee
- Deserts: Pie Piper and Doornuts
FREE OR UNDER $10: (https://www.aucklandnz.com/visit/events)
- Auckland Museum, Auckland Art Gallery
- Hiking (Mt. Eden, tallest volcano, or Cornwall Park/One Tree Hill, large Maori settlement)
- Beaches (Muriwai Beach)
- Ferry to Devenport, explore North Head (1800s fort)
- Ferry to Rangitoto Island, climb the summit (1 hour)
- Goat Island & Ambury Regional Park (day trip, glass bottom boat/kayaks or snorkelling)
- Manukau Heads Lighthouse (free, donation accepted)
WHERE TO SLEEP:
- Wellington Container House: this has been on our wish list for a long time! (Renting for two weeks: $233 CDN/per night, $273 if renting for one week)
- Rotorua Thermal Holiday Park
- The Endless Summer surf hostel in the Northland area looks cool. Built in 1870, close to the ocean.
- Astray Motel & Backpackers, Rotorua
- Jucy Snooze: pod-style hostels in Auckland, Christchurch, and Queenstown. The family room in Auckland sleeps 4 and has a private bathroom for $100 NZD.